Looking for an introduction to the basics of spearfishing? Look no further than a Dive Spear Sport SDI / PFI Intro to Spearfishing Course. With both theory and practical components to this course, a new spearo will be provided with an extremely solid foundation for pursuing their new hobby and spearfishing goals. Designed for the beginners, no previous spearfishing or freediving experience is required. It aims to help the students to develop basic skills, knowledge and safety procedures necessary, to enjoy spearfishing safely.
Since opening our doors we have received many an enquiry for a course designed around introducing spearfishing to the uninitiated. We understand that the majority of our students will be teens getting into the sport, and the major concern of parents is safety. Taking this on-board our in-house Instructor Trainer Fabio Leitao has been hard at work crafting such a course that will not only promote good-habits, but also ensure the reduction of as much risk as possible.
HOW IT WORKS
Our Intro to Spearfishing Course will typically run from 8 am to 4pm. Please be aware that these times may be adjusted; your instructor will be in touch to confirm.
Your Intro to Spearfishing theory session will include, but is not limited to, the following topics:
- Spearfishing fundamentals, i.e. what is spearfishing?
- Most common techniques, e.g. from surface
- Dirty water
- Hidden Fish (hole)
- Tidal (using tides)
- Flasher a. Chum
- Gear; weights, knives, spearguns, floats, etc
- Gun handling; out of water, in-water, how to carry, how to load, how to shoot, handling fish, etc
- Safety; gun handling, team spearfishing, personal limits, sharks, etc
- Local fishing rules; license, bag limits, sizes, etc
- Basic maintenance; cleaning, storage, etc
Your Intro to Spearing practical session will feature land-based skills, in addition to confined water or pool-based skills under the supervision of a qualified instructor. This session will include, but is not limited to, the following skills:
- Breathing techniques
- Proper entries
- Flutter kicks
- Proper warm ups
- Dynamic apnea
- Constant Weight apnea
- Static apnea
- Rescue LMC (Loss of Motor Control) and Blackout diver
- Gear rigging
- Gun practice shooting and loading
- Catch handling